Sunday, August 14, 2011

Homeschool - Last week (Week 1)

I tried to teach my children a few things last week, as we don't feel the need to put our three and a half year old son in Pre-K for two years. Being a teacher and trying to keep them interested isn't easy. I will try to do some work at the table with them, but I am finding that they really like doing physical things more. They enjoy learning more from hands on experience and creating things, so this is what we will be doing. Puzzles are great! They love wooden puzzles and paper puzzles! I don't have a laminate machine thing, so I just printed them out and cut them up into twelve squares. I will print out new puzzles for them this week, then put the other ones away in ziploc bags until want them back again.



My son has Sensory Integration Disorder and he managed to do quite a few NEW things for himself this week! First, as you can see the photo below, he touched Cars Shaped Pasta! It took him five minutes or so to convince him that it was alright to touch it. Once he touched it, he had so much fun putting the different Cars pasta onto the big M's on the paper! He has asked to do it again! So we will be doing more with pasta, etc.


Nick Jr. online has many really cool, and easy, printables! My children LOVE Bubble Guppies, Team Umizoomi, and more! They helped to keep my children's interest by keeping with our theme of the Letter A this week! I printed out and made paper airplanes. Both my children are still playing with them! I might print some out and take with us when we go on vacation in December!


This week I am going to focus on the Letter B and things that go along with it. I found a Team Umizoomi Pinwheel and I really don't want to wait until the letter P to try it out. So I figure that Blowing the pinwheels would work. Blow starts with B!

We also took our kids to the local county fair yesterday. My son has been telling me that he wants to ride horses, but we haven't had the chance for him to do so yet. We saw pony rides at the fair! They were right near the gate we walked into. No one else was around, so we let Matthew pet a few of the ponies and get used to them. I tried to sit him on one of them twice, and he wanted off right away. So we didn't force it. On the way out, we were no where near the ponies, but Matthew brought it up when we told him that we were going to leave now. He said I want to ride a horse now. So we let him!!! He had so much fun, he didn't want to get off.



He also rode on a Crocodile Ride! He has never ridden on anything like this before, not alone anyways. I have been on a few trains with him, but this was different! I am so proud of him!

We will also be reading a few new books, since Books are also on the B list. Now, to find something with Bears! I need an animal too this week, as we didn't do any animals last week. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm homeschooling my pre-K son this year for the first time (he just turned 5 but he has ADHD, behavioral disorders, and learning disabilities, so I'm keeping him home for a year of pre-K to see if I think he'll be ready for actual school next year, or if it's working, I'll just homeschool him next year as well). I'm going to be following you closely for ideas since you are a teacher and I've learned some really great things already! Thanks for helping me out, even if that wasn't your intention:) It really helps when I can find things that have worked for you and then try them out myself - sort of a tried and true kind of thing. I might actually make this work after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh! Homeschooling the preschooler, what wonderful memories! My DD is now entering into 5th grade. {sniff} Time has gone so fast. Enjoy!


    I would love it if you could stop by my very first blog hop debuting today and share this post!

    Wishing you a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete