Saturday, July 16, 2011

Have you ever heard of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease?

I have, but I never knew exactly what Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease was, until I took both kiddos to the pediatrician's office on Wednesday. Then Wednesday night, I came down with a fever and sore throat, and sure enough, I caught it too.

I have researched a lot about it, and I thought that there are some things that you should know if you or your children ever catch it. It is highly contagious. The pediatrician said that it would be ok to have Chloe's birthday party next weekend.

WRONG! It is not ok to have her party and to be around other people for weeks after having Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. It's a virus, and me and my children can carry it in our bodies for weeks after we are done having it. So this means that who ever comes to the party, we are putting them at risk for catching it. I don't think so. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

My children and I all started out with being nausea, a sore throat, then a fever, they both threw up twice, I didn't. Then the fever went away, and a rash appears around the diaper area, which started for both of my kids when the fever started, on their hands, feet, and my son has some on his forearms and a few here and there on his legs and thighs. My children and I all felt tired on and off and we felt like we just wanted to go to bed and sleep.

For Matthew, the ones (ulcers/blisters, whatever you want to call them) on his arms stayed small, but the ones on his hands and feet got bigger. The biggest one was a little bit smaller then the size of a pencil eraser. Chloe had some on her feet though that were bigger than that, the popped on their own, and she has been crying on and off that her feet hurt, and there's not much that I can do for her. She also has some small ulcers around her mouth and lips. The pediatrician said that they both had some in their throat and mouth, and I do too.

The ones in my throat made my ears itch. The ones on my hands and feet Itch, Sting, and Burn almost constantly. I can hardly walk without every step becoming more and more painful. Standing hurts. Walking hurts. My kids brushing my hands or feet, hurts. Typing, not too bad, but I can't text because I have two fingers with ulcers on my finger tips, so I won't be texting till they are gone. I pray that they ulcers on my hands go away, and don't pop open. That would be excruciating. Especially since I use my fingers for blogging and using Facebook, when I have time.

Eating hard foods scratches the inside of my throat. Chocolate doesn't help the one sore that I have around my tongue somewhere. I haven't looked in the mirror to try to pinpoint it. Watermelon, Sweet Tea, cold drinks, pudding, smoothies, milkshakes and smooth ice cream help, but only temporarily.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday I drank a lot of cold drinks and water. Coffee helps too, since it's warm and soothing. I have been taking tylenol when I really need to and the kids have both been asking for it on and off too. My poor babies. Even though they have both had these painful ulcers on their hands, feet, and in their mouths, they have been very resilient overall. They have played, even though their hands, feet, and throat are hurting. They have both been real troopers, more so than me. I have been complaining since my sore throat started, and my husband has no sympathy for me. He hasn't caught it yet. He even told me last night when I asked his help with something that I could do it. I started bawling and telling him that no I couldn't because my fingers really hurt, but he doesn't understand. So I got upset with him and told him that I do hope that he catches this and gets the painful ulcers on his hands and feet just so he can know how painful it really is. (I don't honestly wish that for him, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, not even my worst enemy.)

A few things about Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease, it takes 3 to 7 days for the person or persons exposed to come down with symptoms of the virus. It first might look like a child or adult caught the flu, but then a rash appears in the throat, hands, feet, and for some adults, infants, and children, around their bottom.

It takes a week or two for symptoms of the virus to disappear for most people. But then remember, they are still contagious to others. Other people can still catch this virus from someone who has had this for weeks after they are feeling better. If the ulcers pop, or you decide to pop one or more and drain them, make sure to keep antibiotic ointment on them and keep them clean and let them dry out.

You can use Anti-Itch cream or hydrocortozone cream on them, but not lotion. You want the ulcers to dry out. If you use lotion on your hands, etc. it could take them longer to heal and dry out. Baking soda baths can help relieve the itching for short periods of time, for some people. I am going to soak in a baking soda bath for my hands and feet later. I should probably get my iPod charged so that I can listen to music while relaxing!

For adults and little ones, wearing socks might be slightly irritating to some people and to the ulcers on their feet, but if they break open, it can keep the virus from spreading all over your carpets and floors and help protect someone else from getting it!

Don't share a spoon, fork, or cup with infected person. Don't kiss them. Wash your hands and theirs frequently so that the infection doesn't spread to toys, doorknobs, etc. If they blow their nose, throw the tissue away, and then wash yours or their hands. If they sneeze on you, go wash off with some soap and water, and hope that you didn't get any of their sneeze spray in your eyes, nose, or mouth.

My children and I caught this from either Walmart, Target, or from some kid(s) at a birthday party. We didn't go anywhere else where they could have been exposed. I will be carrying around antibacterial wipes with me from now on and scrubbing the hell out of the grocery cart before using it. I think that grocery stores should install grocery cart washes, and people can pay for their cart to be washed in soap and hot water and then have it quickly air dried by a big blower before using one. They are so nasty, I believe this now. Every cold that my children and I have caught has been either from a grocery store, or a fast food restaurant with a play area. I think that we are done with those too. Maybe it's time to start dining at Wendy's and letting my children run around after we are done eating, lol? Maybe Wendy's should install in inside race track just so kids can run around in circles? I love the idea! I know that my kids would take advantage of it! Matthew loves to run!


Here are a few points from a website that I wanted to share with you about Hand, Foot, Mouth disease:

*Infection is spread from person to person by direct contact with infectious virus. Infectious virus is found in the nose and throat secretions, saliva, blister fluid, and stool of infected persons. The virus is most often spread by persons with unwashed, virus-contaminated hands and by contact with virus-contaminated surfaces.

*Your pets can't catch it from you.
  • Good hygiene practices that can lower the risk of infection include
    • Washing hands frequently and correctly (see Clean Hands Save Lives! ) and especially after changing diapers and after using the toilet
    • Cleaning dirty surfaces and soiled items, including toys, first with soap and water and then disinfecting them by cleansing with a solution of chlorine bleach (made by adding 1 tablespoon of bleach to 4 cups of water)
    • Avoiding close contact (kissing, hugging, sharing eating utensils or cups, etc.) with persons with HFMD
*There is currently NO Vaccine available to protect against the enteroviruses that cause Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease.

*Occurs Worldwide most often in the summer months and early autumn.

3 comments:

  1. How scary! Thanks for giving us all a heads up about this disease. I will be wiping down carts now and washing hands more often.

    I hope you all feel better soon. You are in my prayers.

    Blessings,
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are all going through this. My friends daughter had is last month at it was horrible.

    I had heard of it before then but for as common as it, I hadn't known anyone to have had it. So happy we haven't had it in our household. I have six kids and have been lucky so far!

    Get better soon! And tell Hubs to be nice. Men think they are all big and strong but he would probably be worse than the kids, haha. I know mine can slam half his finger off with a hammer and keep working but if he gets a stuff nose...look out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no!! i've had that too. its hard for grownups to get it :o( im' so sorry. its awful for the kiddos too.

    i'm prescribing popsicles as long as they arent made with orange juice

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete